Friday, June 29, 2007

Strawberry banana trifle

First, what a neat idea! I get in a rut, meal-wise, so it'll be fun to try the others. I'm not sure how many quality recipes I have to share, but this is one of my very favorite desserts. One, because I like how it tastes, and two, because it is pretty much impossible to mess up. And, it is incredibly flexible. I remember when Shad and I were engaged, we were invited to eat with friends from church, and I told them I would bring the dessert. Well, I had to work a little late that day, and ran out of time to make this the normal quick way, so I ran by the store and got pudding handi-packs. Shad still makes fun of me for rushing to get all those handi-packs dumped in the dish. So, he knew what he was getting into concerning food. You'll need:

either a fresh-baked or store-bought yellow or vanilla cake

2 pints of strawberries (thawed or freshly sliced) and bananas, too, if you want them

banana pudding (1 box will do) I use the cook'n serve kind for this, but the other will work, too. I just think it tastes extra good when it starts out warm with the strawberries and cake.

either Cool Whip or whipping cream (My mother-in-law always uses the real stuff, so I do, too, now, and I think it's a little better.)

After your cake is done or you get back from buying it, cut it into small squares and place half of it in the bottom of a deep serving bowl. Clear glass ones are real pretty for this.

Next, spoon half the strawberries on top of the cake. I don't add any sugar to the strawberries because everything else will sweeten them up a little.

Then, spread half your pudding on top of that. I like to make my pudding while the cake is baking, so it's still warm when I pour it over the strawberries and cake. You can add banana slices if you want, as well.

Repeat those layers and top very generously with the whipped cream.

The longer this lasts, the moister everything becomes. It makes a big enough dessert for about 10 people. If you go with a pre-baked cake, instant pudding, and Cool Whip, you're looking at a real quick dessert, too.

No comments: