Saturday, April 19, 2008

Darn Good Pasta

No... I'm not bragging on my cooking. That is really the name of this recipe out of the Taste of Home magazine. I did change it up a little because I couldn't find all the ingredients I needed. I will tell you the real recipe and my substitutes. Everyone at my house ate several servings (including the kids). I had Rachel and Roselyn over for dinner and Roselyn actually ate 6 (kid-size) helpings so I did not have any leftovers! (I won't say how many helpings Rachel had - haha!)

8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
2 shallots, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup white wine (I substituted apple juice but you could use white-grape juice, chicken broth or water)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 jar (about 10 ounces) alfredo sauce
3/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained (I substituted a 16 ounce jar of sun-dried tomato alfredo sauce or you could use vodka sauce)
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook shallots and garlic in olive oil for about 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes until no longer pink. Add wine, basil and parsley; cook for 1 minute.
In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta, chicken mixture, alfredo sauce, tomatoes, milk, 1/4 cup cheese and pepper. Spoon into a shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 (huge) servings.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

This pasta rocked my socks off! Just wanted you to know :)

Anonymous said...

I agree, very yummy!

Anonymous said...

Useful phrase

Anonymous said...

THE BEST!!!! I make it all the time and even my picky teeange eaters LOVE LOVE it! My husband thinks it's awesome and he's a chef! So it has to be the best..

Tammy in KC