Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Mexican Cornbread Casserole

Ok, here's what I made last night for supper. It is SO easy, it's ridiculous. And it is a huge hit in my family... complete with leftovers for lunch the next day. I am a stickler for having a veggie with each supper I make, so I force David and myself to eat some green beans or broccoli or something on the side. But what I really just want is chips and salsa!

Needed:

1 lb ground beef or turkey (I use turkey and it is just as good)
2-ish cups of grated cheddar
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can of corn
1 package of Sweet Yellow Cornbread and the ingredients to go in it (usually milk and egg)

Brown the meat, having seasoned it however you like (garlic, salt, pepper, etc). I like to put in some red pepper flakes with the meat to give it extra spice, or chopped jalapenos. Drain the meat. Add the can of Rotel, drain and add the can of corn. Pour meat/tomato/corn mixture into a greased 13X9 pan. Top the meat mixture with the cheese. Mix the cornbread according to the directions on the package and pour over the cheese. It never looks like there will be enough cornbread, but there is. If it doesn't ooze (sorry, that word sounds gross but I can't think of another one...) down into the meat a little bit because the cheese is so yummily taking up room, kinda smush it with your spoon. Bake according to the directions on the cornbread package.

2 comments:

myra said...

I was looking for something easy and different to make for dinner last night and tried this recipe. Let me just say "YUM-O". It was so good. I'm making it again this week for our lunch group.

myra
(I'm Rachel's friend from college)

Anonymous said...

This is great. I actually added kidney beans and had forgotten the cheese so put it on aftercooked and cooked it five more minutes. Still turned out awesome.