Friday, August 3, 2007

Seasoned Fried Tilapia

Disclaimer: This recipe is not healthy, easy, or neat. Well, it's not hard, but frying for me is always a challenge, trying to get the breading just right without it falling off or getting burned. But this tastes so good!

Ingredients:
  • 3-4 tilapia or other fish fillet (Usually I buy the frozen tilapia filets at Wal-mart, but I've used fresh bass)
  • 2 tablespoons fish seasoning, such as a combination of dried herbs like oregano, basil, thyme, and paprika
  • 1/2 cup flour seasoned with a little sea salt (or regular salt)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • olive oil - enough to cover the bottom of your skillet
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (you can use more if you like garlic)
  • 1 small shallot or other onion, finely minced


Directions:
Season the fish pieces on all sides very well with the fish seasonings. Then dip into the flour, and then into the beaten egg, and then back into the flour. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and cook for just a minute. Quickly add the coated fish and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. The onion and garlic will stick to the breading of the fish, and it is SO TASTY!

Note: If possible, use a big enough skillet to fry all of the fish at once. If you have to do it in batches, the onions and garlic that stay in the pan get overdone and turn black.
Serves 2-3

1 comment:

Erica said...

I usually do this recipe because my girls loved it but I usually use bread crumbs instead of flour, but I use flour when I run out of bc.

I have never fried them with onions and garlic but will try it today. It sounds really tasty!